Remember when I told you about all the good stuff in Eggland’s Best eggs? I wanted to make something different that featured the egg and I came up with a sweet potato hash. To be honest, I had to use what was in the house already. Willie always tells me I’m the master of making something out of nothing, fast.
Hash usually has some not so healthy things in it like fatty meats or cheeses or whatever your heart my desire but I wanted to try a more health conscious version for everyone to enjoy.
- ½ cup diced cooked sweet potato
- ¼ cup white onion diced
- 1 cup cooked turnip greens (I used frozen with diced turnips)
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning
- 1 large Eggland's Best Egg
- Cook the sweet potato in the microwave or in the oven. Microwave is obviously easier but I usually bake up a bunch of sweet potatoes every week and I have them on hand. No skin on the potato for this recipe.
- Add turnip greens and onion in a fry pan with the Mrs. Dash seasoning and saute until the no liquid is left in the pan..
- Add the diced sweet potatoes. Stir until warm.
- It's up to you if you want a sunny side up egg or to just scramble it in with the other. I recommend scrambling or sunny side upping your egg in an egg skillet or in another pan.
- Serve with egg on top.
I obviously didn’t sunny side up my egg right because it was brown on the edges. That is caused by not having enough liquid in the pan. I don’t use butter or oil so that is the problem. I can live with a few brown edges on my eggs and not get in a tizzy about it. If you can’t, you now know what to do.
All I added to my egg was some crushed black pepper and plated it with the egg on top of the hash! I think this would be a great brunch idea! It’s not quite breakfast but it’s not quite lunch but it is really good.