We’ve been a little pressed for time and Willie doesn’t really want to clean a lot of pots and pans so I’ve been making some casseroles lately. This one that is great for lunch because it’s easy to pre-portion out and great for on the go. There are few steps but it’s a pretty good meal.
I season the skinless chicken breast and thighs and bake them covered in the oven at 450 degrees for 45-50 minutes. I use a mixture of both breast and thighs for moisture in the dish. Chicken breast are really dry and I learned through trial and error that it’s just not as good without the thighs. While the chicken is cooking, I make the rice in the rice cooker. Technially, you can probably use the uncooked rice in the dish and let it back up that way, but I just prefer to make it ahead of time.
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast, baked and shredded
- 1 lb skinless chicken thighs, baked and shredded
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup of water
- 2½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup low fat mozarella cheese
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (or more if you like it spicy)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Mrs. Dash seasoning, to taste
- Preheat the over to 425 degrees and grease an 9 x 13 baking dish. I use cooking spray.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour into the baking dish.
- Spread the cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Let cool before serving and/or trying to portion out for your meal.
There’s not really much to this but it’s really yummy and works well for a meal prep. It’s easy to portion and store in the fridge. We ate it with peas and carrots but I bet it would go great with string beans or brocolli. We’ve kind of been on a brocolli overload lately so we’re taking a little break from it. As for the soup, I use the Campbell’s Healthy Request soups which are lower in fat and sodium.
The meal is very filling and lasts all week. I’m learning that people are concerned about food staying in the fridge all week which has never been a problem for us. We’ve had this two times and I think the second time had too much chicken in it or too much rice. I don’t know, I was sick on the couch and I let Willie make it. If you feel like it’s too much for one pan, you can make another pan for freezing too. It does make quite a bit but it’s good. I’ve also been thinking about subbing out the brown rice for wild rice. There are a few ways to change it up.